I have finally made a maxi dress! If I’m not wrong, last maxi dress that I have made was my prom dress, a long long time ago.. In last couple of years every summer I plan to make one, but never get around to really doing it.. Usually I don’t have enough fabric, or I can’t decide which pattern to choose.. When I saw the model #121 from Burda 04/2014, I knew it was the one.. To be honest, I liked all the versions of that model (#119, #120).. That’s why it took me couple of hours first to size down pattern pieces for all three versions, and then to trace and cut them..
For this maxi dress I used fabric from the remnant bin.. I was lucky to go to the fabric store just when they added new fabrics to the remnant bin and pick 3-4 pieces of this fabric, enough for the dress I had in mind, and to be left with more of it for some other project.. The fabric is rayon and drapes nicely.. For lining I used white cotton.. I didn’t have enough of it for the whole dress, so everything but the skirt is lined.. I was lazy to cut and sew the waist tie.. The dress has a good shape without it.. Elastic is doing a good job..
The only thing I had to improve was adding the elastic thread to the sides of the bust pieces.. The fabric there is cut on bias, so it doesn’t stand close to the body as it should.. With elastic thread everything is perfect.. There’s also a minor mistake I’ve made sewing the button loops.. The upper one is the smallest, and they ar gradually getting bigger.. The result is a bit irritating, but I can live with it.. There’s a lot going on with other details and the print of the fabric.. It’s not like everyone will notice it, except seamstresses with good eye..
My favorite detail with this dress is the cut at the back.. I also love the pleats at the back and at the front part of the skirt.. Before making this maxi dress, I thought that only circle skirts can be a nightmare for hemming..
Now a little about the photos.. July is time when I’m usually on archaeological excavations, and this July is no exception.. Sunday is our only day off, and we tend to do absolutely nothing.. Sadly, that’s the case only for first one or two Sundays.. Last Sunday my friend Snave and I were determined to do photo-shoot of our maxi dresses.. Preparing for it was very fun.. If only you could have seen me ironing this dress on a bed with super small iron, which doesn’t have heat regulation.. It’s cold or very warm.. I even managed to melt the cable.. Luckily only the plastic was damaged, no electric wires.. Now you can understand why the back pleats are not properly ironed and look a bit messy..
Since the railway is crossing through the village we’re staying, my friend wanted us to find an isolated place and take photos there.. The weather was beautiful.. Gray sky, like storm was going to hit us.. It was also very windy.. Just perfect for two of us in our colorful maxi dresses.. Our friend Drx came with us and took these wonderful pictures of us together.. It’s always such a fun when we’re doing this together.. That’s why it was hard to select photos.. You can hop over to Snave’s BurdaStyle profile and see more of her gorgeous dress..
Every year on fieldwork we have stray dogs that follow us everywhere we go (because some of us feed them).. This is only one of our little friends that we named Shakira..
Thanks to Snave and Drx for the photos, and lovely Shakira J