Thursday, August 28, 2014

Disorder





The pattern for Kat strapless dress by Grainline Studio was a birthday gift from my friends.. Better said, it was only one of three parts of the surprise, and the best one :) Kat dress was one of the first indie patterns that I loved, and still is very high on my list.. I’m a big fan of strapless dresses.. With this one I liked the lines that different fabrics make.. Pure magic..  I also loved the skirt with only couple of pleats and high-low waistline.. The design is simple and clean..


This was my first time using this pattern and I wanted to make a wearable muslin.. Last winter I bought 4 or 5 pieces of very lightweight cotton from the remnant bin.. I didn’t like much the color, too pale for my taste, but the pineapple print and super low price were a big plus.. In my fabric stash I have found green lining that perfectly goes with pineapples.. Beside the lining, there was no other fabric to go with the main fabric.. That’s why I decided to use neon green piping for all the horizontal lines instead of combining different fabrics..

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Never Never


♫ ♪  koRn - Never Never


A couple months ago, my sister and I were in a shop looking for some fabrics.. She found a piece of rayon of 0.90m in length, enough for a shirt or blouse.. Immediately I had an idea to make her a peplum top.. I’m so happy to have a sister for whom I can sew experimental garments when I’m not sure if it is something I would wear.. 


For this top I used the pattern #113 from Burda 08/2012.. This particular pattern has 3 different variations.. #113 is peplum top with short sleeves, #114 peplum top with long sleeves, and #115 a dress.. I have already made two dresses using pattern #115, one of which you can see here (Sherry Blossom Girl).. That’s why at the beginning I knew that it would be better to make the neck opening wider.. I finished that hem with bias tape.. My second and main modification to the pattern was making closure with buttons at the back.. It was an easy task to do.. Heart shaped buttons gave a special cute note to this top.. Without them it would be just another plain peplum top.. My third and last adjustment of this pattern was shortening the peplum for about 5cm.. I must admit that I wasn't trying to match the pattern of the fabric.. Looking it up close everything looks the same.. 

Friday, August 8, 2014

Inhaler







Here’s the last of my work dresses for archaeological excavations.. I’ve made it a year ago, and it’s still holding fine.. As with most of my fabrics, this rayon was also a remnant bin find.. It’s not like I can find mustard fabrics everyday, but this one I have decided to use for work.. It’s always good to be prepared if the TV crew comes to make a report about what we’re digging, and I don’t have time to hide somewhere..