Friday, August 8, 2014

Inhaler







Here’s the last of my work dresses for archaeological excavations.. I’ve made it a year ago, and it’s still holding fine.. As with most of my fabrics, this rayon was also a remnant bin find.. It’s not like I can find mustard fabrics everyday, but this one I have decided to use for work.. It’s always good to be prepared if the TV crew comes to make a report about what we’re digging, and I don’t have time to hide somewhere.. 





 The pattern I used for this dress is the same as a pattern I already used for my first Stylish while digging dress.. Just made a couple of changes.. The pattern is #125 fromBurda 06/2012.. This time I didn’t make drawstring shoulder seams, just regular seams.. I added a waist tie and pockets.. While cutting the fabric for front pieces, I made a big mistake because I was in a hurry.. As you can see,  the fabric pattern is not symmetric, it’s a little off grain.. Usually, with prints, I cut every piece separate, so the pattern would fall in its place.. This time, I was cutting two layers at the same time, and you can see the result.. I didn’t place correctly the fabric that was under, or it has moved.. It’s a bit difficult to hold rayon in one place..  After that irritating mistake, the back I’ve made perfectly as I could.. In the end, this dress is meant to survive dust, sweat and tears on summer archaeological campaigns.. 



Behind the camera - my favorite sister Dina :)

A LITTLE UPDATE
After reading your comments I saw that it would be better if I mentioned more about the pattern that I used for this dress.. It is common for Burda Magazine to have two or more versions of one pattern.. It is even better when there is a real difference between them.. That was the case in the issue 06/2012 Burda Magazine..  Pattern#125 is for a tunic top with shoulder drawstrings and some cotton eyelet applique on the front, and pattern #126 is for a dress with long sleeves.. If you look at the technical sketch underneath you can see what I’m talking about.. The yellow dress that I showed you in this post is kind of a combination of the two patterns, or maybe even more dress version, just without the sleeves.. I used the pattern that I’ve traced for my first take on thisdress, and that’s why I said that I used pattern #125.. For both of my dresses I traced the length of the dress pattern.. Not full length, in most cases I make my dresses shorter.. Also, with both of my dresses I decided to sew the front opening, and leave enough space so I could pull my head through.. Hook and eye closure was not a practical solution for a work outfit.. 


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

4 comments:

  1. dobra skroz :) imam ovu burdu i nikad mi ni na kraj pameti nije bilo da se od te bluze moze napraviti haljina, a kamo li da se moze napraviti bas dobra haljina :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hvala, hvala :) meni je navika da sve pretvaram u haljine :) a za teren mi odgovaraju opusteniji, siri modeli, ali da ipak budu zanimljivi.. takvih nema bas mnogo.. zato se vracam proverenim krojevima ;)

      Delete
  2. Love the way you modified the blouse into a dress and that pattern on the fabric is to die for. You must be voted the best dressed archeologist out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) It seams that I always forget to mention something obvious, in this case that the pattern is for the blouse, and I've made a dress with it :) It's a fact that I'm the best dressed on the field :D :P No one else wears dresses while digging Neolithic houses :) Of coarse, you must also ignore all the dust that ends on me, dirty sneakers and leggings, and all other layers of clothes that I wear when it's colder ;)

      Delete