I was planning to sew this dress since I saw it in the preview for the September issue of Burda magazine.. But first, I had to return home from my trip.. The dress is pattern #123 from Burda 09/2014.. I traced the pattern and shorten the length of the skirt for only 12 cm.. I decided to use a fabric from my stash and make a summer dress.. It was hard to pick one, so eventually I went with very lightweight cotton, originally white and black gingham print that I dyed in yellow.. Dyeing in washing machine proved to be the easiest way of doing that.. I used Deka L dye in the color gold.. The choice of the color and the whole process I did a couple years ago, when I bought the fabric.. At that time it seemed like a nice idea.. Along with main fabric, I used yellow lightweight cotton for the lining.. The gingham fabric is very thin and you can see everything under it..
The instructions suggested 2.50 m of fabric, and I managed to make my dress with only 1.40 m! It’s probably because I didn’t cut the fabric diagonally.. I have chosen safer option for the bodice, and just continued like that with the skirt.. Now I think that it would be much more fun if the skirt was on the bias.. Side views of the dress are great.. As usual with Burda patterns, I didn’t have any fit issues..
Also, I didn’t forget to sew the pockets.. Yay for that! The mistake I made was cutting both pocket pieces from the print fabric, instead of the upper one from plain yellow I used for the lining.. The fabric is so sheer that you can see the pockets.. I was too lazy to go out and look for buttons.. I found them in the stash that my mom and grandma collected.. They are all different, but the same size.. Perfect :)
When I saw the almost finished dress, yellow-black combination reminded me of some traffic signs or construction signs.. To confirm this, you can see how my dress looks on the street, with yellow-black columns and fence surrounding an elementary school..
Behind the camera – my favorite sister Dina :)