Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Just Because



I’m a bit late with showing you my monthly projects for Burda Challenge 2015.. This dress is my make for May.. In Burda 05/2015 there wasn’t a pattern that looked interesting enough to give it a try.. This was a good opportunity to try a pattern from one of numerous vintage Burda issues from ‘70s and ‘80s that I recently got my hands on, as a gift from my grandfather’s wife.. 



My main problem with patterns from older Burda issues are sizes.. Only one pattern per issue is given in multi size.. All other patterns are in one or two sizes.. Since I don’t know (yet) how to resize a one size pattern, I can make only garments in my size.. The smallest size is 34 but it’s very rare, so I decided to use 36.. With more fitted pattern I will see if that’s the right choice for me.. Unfortunately most of the patterns that I like are in larger sizes..


After taking a look at all May’s issues that I had from ‘70s and ‘80s I decided to try this wrap dress with open back.. The pattern is #8919 from Burda 05/1979.. From the same issue I liked two more patterns, and I hope that I’ll have time to try them this summer.. My only change to the pattern is making the skirt shorter instead of maxi.. I had 1.5 m of this viscose fabric, which was enough for the length of the skirt that you see on me.. This is one of those projects for which I’ve used all the fabric, not a scrap was left, not even for the drawstring around the neckline.. For that I used black cotton bias tape..   



Pattern #8919 from Burda 05/1979
Behind the camera - my dear friend Mokosha

Friday, June 19, 2015

Night In June




These days I’m in a mood for sewing garments with fabrics I bought in Turkish market in Berlin.. So far I’ve used four, and I’m left with only one more.. I already showed you what I made with first and second fabric, and this is my third make.. The dress you see here is actually the present I brought from Berlin for my sister Dina.. I truly tried to find some other gift, but ended up buying 2 meters of this lovely flower print cotton.. It looked like the most logical thing to do.. At that point I didn’t know what kind of a dress would I make for her.. Eventually I remembered that my sister tried on a dress that a friend made for herself and that it looked good on her.. 




It’s the vintage pattern #125 from Burda 11/2007.. It has a lot of interesting details.. Pleats on shoulders, kimono sleeves with an underarm gusset, pleated skirt.. Unfortunately, all those details are barely visible on photos because of the busy print of the fabric.. You can see it all on a technical sketch bellow.. This time I wasn’t too lazy and I sewed the pockets to the dress.. That’s the only thing that I changed to the original pattern.. I really enjoyed sewing this cotton print.. There were no problems of any kind.. After making this dress I was left with enough fabric to make a shorts for myself (you'll see it at some point).. 

Friday, June 12, 2015

You Today




On my first visit to Turkish market in Berlin I saw this crazy zebra fabric and immediately fell in love with it.. But I couldn’t buy everything that I liked at that point.. First I needed to think about what could I make with this fabric.. I successfully controlled myself and decided to make another visit to the Turkish market day before we were supposed to leave Berlin..



Cap sleeve cropped top #127 from Burda 02/2015 was the best choice.. I already used this pattern once before.. This time I made a few changes to the pattern.. The back is made from one piece, not two.. I didn’t want to cut zebras and have a problem with pattern matching.. Because of that, I had to make neck opening wider so I could put it on..


Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Collapse In Slow Motion


♫ ♪ Velvet Condom - Collapse In Slow Motion


My visit to Berlin would be described better as my visit to Neukölln.. That’s where my friends and I spent almost all of our time.. It was all about Balkan people, beer, punk and having fun.. One of rare Germans I met there was lovely Anne whose makes you can see only on Kollabora.. We went together to the Turkish market for fabric shopping.. There was one booth with tons of crazy print fabrics and I had a problem picking only couple of them.. As Anne says, I even infected her to buy colorful fabric.. For me only one visit to the Turkish market wasn’t enough, I had to go back on Tuesday and buy a few more fabrics..



The fabric I used for this dress is find from my visit to the Turkish market with Anne.. I bought only 1m of it, with the idea to make a simple shift dress.. I fell in love with this paisley print cotton.. I couldn't make a plain shift dress.. I had to ad an interesting detail to simple silhouette.. Only thing that came to my mind was some kind of an open back.. I looked around the web for inspiration and in the end came up with design that you see.. The pattern for this dress is #109 from Burda 04/2013 (AB).. I changed the back completely.. It was easy to hand draft..


I managed to make this dress completely from only 1m of the fabric that I had.. There was a smaller fit problem, I had to take it in around the bust and waist.. Also, it would be smarter if I added waist darts at front and at the back of the dress.. Anyways, I’m really happy with the outcome.. At one point I was afraid that I ruined this lovely fabric (I didn’t make a muslin), but in the end everything turned out great..



Behind the camera - my dear friend Mokosha :D