Monday, July 27, 2015

You Take My Breath Away




This was the dress that I had on my mind when I saw the pattern #133 for teen girls in Burda 06/2015.. As I wrote in my earlier post, I had to make a test version to see if the largest girls size would fit me well.. Luckily, girls size 158 is almost like women’s 34.. After making black top I was ready for my midi dress.. Originally I wanted to make a maxi dress.. I thought about that idea for a while and decided to make a midi length skirt instead of maxi because I find it more practical.. With maxi dresses and skirts there is too much fabric around my legs, I always have to watch not to step on the skirt if I’m going upstairs or downstairs, and they get dirty easily because they are near the ground.. Midi length is perfect for me..





For the dress I picked yellow rayon fabric.. The fabric and the color are great for the summer.. The dress is constructed of two layers.. The upper layer is like a top, and the lower layer is the dress.. Only four parts to sew together, plus straps.. It can not go wrong.. I cut the skirt at the shortest length that was given for girls, instead of the length for size 158.. I wasn’t sure if I wanted to add an elastic at the waistline or not.. When I finished with sewing the dress I tried it on and it was too baggy on me, without any shape.. That’s why I added the elastic..

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Golden Dreams




You have already seen the birthday dress that I've made for my sister Dina.. For her birthday party I wanted to make a new dress for myself too.. In my fabric stash one special fabric was waiting to be made into a cute dress.. All I needed was to find the pattern that would complement this lovely cotton print that I bought on Turkish market in Berlin.. When I saw this fabric I immediately fell in love with color palette and this kind of doodle print.. I estimated well that 1.5 m would be enough to sew a dress..





I didn’t have much time for sewing the dress.. Actually, I made it on the day of my sister’s party.. All I needed was a simple, but interesting bodice that would go nicely with a full circle skirt.. The fabric is a bit stiffer and gathered skirt wouldn't look good with it.. That's why I wanted to make a full circle skirt.. The pattern that I used for the bodice is #116 from Burda 10/2010.. Cap sleeves are cute, but this time I decided to make a sleeveless dress.. It looked easier that way, and faster.. Only the bodice is lined.. The skirt is cut from one piece of fabric and has only one seam at the back.. Better excuse for not making the pockets instead of usual laziness..

Thursday, July 9, 2015

Totally True




The pattern that caught my eye from June’s Burda issue was for this dress (#133 from Burda 06/2015).. The only tiny problem was the fact that the pattern is for teenage girls.. I wanted to make the dress as my June make for Burda Challenge 2015, but first I needed a test project to see if I could get into largest girl’s size.. As a tester I decided to make a top #132, which is a variation of the dress pattern.. Largest size for the top and the dress is girl’s 158.. I took a look at size charts and discovered that it’s almost equal to women’s 34-36.. Only the height is like for petite women instead of normal 168 cm.. 




For the top I used black rayon.. I wanted to make the top as it is, but on time I realized that the cropped version would look much better with high waisted shorts and skirts.. Instead of tracing the full length for the top, I traced the shorter version that is used for the dress (upper part of the dress).. It took me only an hour to sew it.. The fit is good and it's very comfortable.. After this little experiment I was ready to make the dress (you'll see it soon)..