I’m a bit late with showing you my monthly projects for Burda Challenge 2015.. This dress is my make for May.. In Burda 05/2015 there wasn’t a pattern that looked interesting enough to give it a try.. This was a good opportunity to try a pattern from one of numerous vintage Burda issues from ‘70s and ‘80s that I recently got my hands on, as a gift from my grandfather’s wife..
My main problem with patterns from older Burda issues are sizes.. Only one pattern per issue is given in multi size.. All other patterns are in one or two sizes.. Since I don’t know (yet) how to resize a one size pattern, I can make only garments in my size.. The smallest size is 34 but it’s very rare, so I decided to use 36.. With more fitted pattern I will see if that’s the right choice for me.. Unfortunately most of the patterns that I like are in larger sizes..
After taking a look at all May’s issues that I had from ‘70s and ‘80s I decided to try this wrap dress with open back.. The pattern is #8919 from Burda 05/1979.. From the same issue I liked two more patterns, and I hope that I’ll have time to try them this summer.. My only change to the pattern is making the skirt shorter instead of maxi.. I had 1.5 m of this viscose fabric, which was enough for the length of the skirt that you see on me.. This is one of those projects for which I’ve used all the fabric, not a scrap was left, not even for the drawstring around the neckline.. For that I used black cotton bias tape..
|Pattern #8919 from Burda 05/1979|
Behind the camera - my dear friend Mokosha