One of the advantages of living near flea market is popping there every couple of days to see if there’s anything interesting.. I always try to control myself to buy only things I really need, mostly sewing supplies.. There I’ve found so many great and quality fabrics, and Burda magazines from past several decades.. I have a rule when it comes to prices.. I already have a good collection of vintage Burda issues passed on to me by my aunts.. I really don’t need more of them, except if the price is next to nothing.. For Burda magazines I would give up to 50 RSD per issue (less than 50 euro cents).. That was the case with this one I found all alone surrounded with books and records.. You wouldn’t expect much in an issue from July 1995.. I took a look at technical sketches of the patterns and loved at least 5 patterns only at a first glance.. Then I browsed the magazine and saw all the dresses with open back, shirt with lace insertion, dress with a scalloped neckline, and I felt like I hit the jackpot!! This issue is like made for me.. You can see couple of my favorites on my ig post, and I scanned technical sketches for dress patterns for you to see here (last photo)..
Before I even started pattern tracing my faves, I wanted to try a simple dress pattern #104 from this issue.. I wasn’t sure about the fit of ‘90s patterns.. On models garments look like they are at least a size or two larger, and the fit is weird.. If I hadn’t seen a technical drawing of this simple dress I would never try to make it.. As you can see on a photo below, it looks like a white oversize baggy dress.. On a sketch you can see all the beauty of the pattern – bust darts that create interesting V line, curved under bust seam, half circle skirt, V neckline at the back.. This issue from 1995 is from those years when in Serbia Burda magazines were black market goods.. From that decade German issues are most common, but I’ve also seen Greek ones, and this is my first Hungarian.. That was the situation when I started sewing back in high school.. Also, that’s one of the reasons I don’t have a habit of reading the sewing instructions.. All I ever needed to know were those four words which determine the color of the pattern I want to trace (black, red, blue and green).. I googled kèk, which means blue and I was ready to start this project..
The fabric is a lightweight cotton, a remnant bin find.. I loved the color, and weird print the fabric has.. To me it looks like there are at least two different prints mixed on this fabric.. I included a close up photo for you to see what I’m talking about.. Since this was a test version I didn’t see the point of making a double layer skirt that original pattern suggests.. I was in a hurry to sew this dress and see the result.. I used all the supplies I had at home at that point.. You can see that the zipper is very bright shade of pink, which I don’t mind.. In the end, it took me four hours top to make this dress, from tracing the pattern, figuring out which fabric to use, sewing it all together, and finishing the dress.. I was very proud of myself.. And very happy with the result!!
I made this dress in size 36 and the fit is perfect.. It’s not oversize, I have enough ease to move my hands.. I’m in love with the body flattering shape this dress has.. It’s also very comfortable to wear and I want to make at least one more for myself.. Just a perfect spring-summer dress :) Now I can't wait to find time to sew other summer dresses from this Burda issue..
Behind the camera - Moj Matija