Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Motion




Many years ago I liked the dress I saw at Modcloth so much that I decided to make my own copy.. That was the time when I discovered online sewing community, got inspired with all the talented ladies out there, when I looked at every tutorial I came across and learned so many good sewing skills, and also I started experimenting more with pattern hacking and pattern drafting.. My copy of Modcloth dress was actually the second project I ever posted online, on my Kollabora profile!! You can read a short description about that make here, and see the photos.. Basically, I found the perfect bodice pattern in issue 11/2008 of Burda magazine.. All I had to do is change a number of pleats to get the bodice I wanted and draft a full circle skirt..



Years after my first make, I still love the silhouette of this dress.. Last summer I made a green version (photos bellow), and now I decided to go back to the stripped fabric and make a spring version with sleeves.. What I love about these sleeves is how they perfectly follow the line of shoulders.. Sleeves are constructed from two parts and the fit is spot on.. Also, this type of sleeves is easy to sew.. Inserting the regular type of sleeve is still my least favorite thing to do.. 



The striped fabric is lightweight cotton I bought last summer with intention of making this dress.. I loved the colors which look better in person.. I was pleasantly surprised when I started cutting the pattern pieces and saw that I'll have just enough fabric for this dress.. No usable leftovers.. Yay for that!! I guess 2 meters are enough only for sizes 36 and 38 when you're trying to do pattern matching..



The green dress I made last summer from gorgeous cotton shiny (as they call it in the store).. I immediately fell in love with this fresh shade of green and expensive look the fabric had.. The shiny side of fabric is shiny just enough to make it more for special occasions, but it can still be worn during the day.. If I'm not wrong, for sleeveless version I used about 1.7-1.8 m of fabric.. For a full circle skirt I need 1.5m of fabric, and the rest is enough for the bodice (when there's no pattern matching).. I added the pockets on the green dress.. 



I'm still not sure which dress I like more - the stripped version or the solid color one.. As it looks I'll be coming back to this pattern more..



Behind the camera - Matija Vukov

No comments:

Post a Comment