This dress is one of my recent makes which I've already shown on Instagram @lejditea.. It was a very spontaneous make.. I had totally different sewing plans for that day, but when the idea popped to my mind I had to try it.. Recently I bought this lovely swallows print fabric.. At first I naively thought it was some sort of viscose crepe.. When I had all pattern pieces cut, while applying interfacing I become suspicious and did a burn test.. It showed that this lovely fabric is actually polyester.. It was too late to change my sewing plan..
The pattern is #101 from Burda 11/2008.. I always wanted to try that pattern, and I'm happy I finally did it.. It is recommended for stretchy fabrics but I decided to try it with woven tracing it a size larger.. That was a smart move.. I wear Burda size 36, and this size 38 fits me very well.. Also I made a few minor changes.. I added a waistband, moved invisible zipper to the side, and added more volume to this simple gathered skirt..
It's hard to see all the details of this dress but I love everything about it.. You must believe me that it looks better in real life :D The dress is comfy, sizing is good, even the fabric feels nice so I don't see any problem with this polyester.. The best thing is that the fabric doesn't wrinkle at all!! For my next make I would love to mix a sheer fabric for sleeves and upper bodice parts ;)
|Technical sketch of Burda pattern #101 from issue 11/2008|
Behind the camera - Matija Vukov