I'm always impressed with possibilities that basic patterns offer.. When you find the one that fits you, it's easy to transform it into unique and special makes.. For me, one of my go to basic bodice patterns is 108 from Burda 01/2013.. Nothing special, bust darts on front bodice and at the back there are mid shoulder darts.. I've used many versions of this pattern and one of my first redrafts was adding waist darts at front and back piece for a fitted bodice.. Dart manipulation was my next step, and for this dress instead of having bust and waist darts, I've merged them into one waist dart.. I used waist darts to place ties on the dress.. I also cut bodice pieces to get that "V" shape and play more with direction of stripes.. The pleated skirt is drafted by me, welt pockets included..
I don't remember when and where I bought this striped cotton fabric.. I had only one piece in my stash and decided to use it all for this dress and that way try have minimal waste.. That's why I made midi length skirt, instead of my usual above the knee length.. I've been wanting to make welt pockets on a skirt for a long time, and I'm happy I finally did it.. I've made welt pockets in the past, but only on jackets and coats.. They always look complicated, and I always look for a new tutorial.. Recently a friend shared with me this great tutorial on how to sew a welt pocket and it was time to try it.. For the first time I'm very pleased with how they turned out.. Tutorial is clear and simple, so I now I have my neat and precise welt pockets.. This cotton fabric was very friendly with making welt pockets and lace insertion.. I added those lace trims on the seams for that special touch.. So far I tried lace insertion on viscose and cotton, and I must say that cotton is more suitable for this delicate technique..
Behind the camera - Matija Vukov